Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ayiti, ou gen ke'm!

Haiti, you have my heart. I fell in love with this beautiful island almost the moment I set foot on it in May 2002. Within months I had also fallen in love with a beautiful island boy who stole my heart and wouldn't let go!

I can't even express how I feel about today- January 12, 2011. One year ago I sat in this same spot, so worried for family, wondering if they were okay, making phone call after phone call, watching the news, mesmerized at what one moment in time could do to my island. I saw the hotel where we got married. What once was a majestic, grandiose building standing on the side of a mountain was reduced to huge mounds of white and gray concrete. Ysmaille's parents' house, where we spent part of last summer, was now unlivable. I just couldn't wrap my mind around it-- still can't.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to forget about all our friends and family who are rebuilding, but it seems so far removed from us. It's almost like the needs are so overwhelming that instead of helping where we could we haven't really helped much at all...

1 comment:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes, Melanie. As another one who knows how a country can steal your heart, I cannot imagine how you must feel. I think and pray for Haiti often...Ayiti nan ke mwen ♥

    ReplyDelete