Tuesday, August 23, 2011

#15 on Summer List 2011

Read Three Books. Pretty simple since one of my New Year's Resolutions was to read a book a month. Three months of summer. Three books.
The first book I read was Julie and Julia by Julie Powell. I saw the movie before reading the book, which I usually try to avoid. In my opinion neither were that spectacular. If you enjoy cooking like I do you can at least appreciate all Julie went through to cook every recipe in Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." If you ask me most of the recipes sounded gross. I'll take tacos any day.

Several weeks ago I went to a yardsale where there was a box of FREE books. Well, you know how I am. I can't resist free. I picked up a copy of All the Finest Girls by Alexandra Styron. This is a weird book that goes back and forth from present day to main character's childhood. She was raised in a dysfunctional family and felt very alone and misunderstood until her nanny moved in. The book primarily takes place in the island homeland of her former nanny. Not sure if I strongly reccomend it or not, but if you want to borrow it you may.


The Last Summer of You and Me by Ann Brashares (The author of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants) was a good read. I read it in only a few days during our trip to Tennessee. It is a coming-of-age book that takes place in a coastal New England. Parts of it were slow, but it kept my interest because I just kept wanting to know what was going to happen next.

Since we are talking about books I strongly reccomend you read Love and Respect. I've been hearing about this book for years now and I started reading it a few months ago. If you are married it is a must-read. It has changed how I relate to Ysmaille (at least how I am TRYING to relate to Ysmaille).


No comments:

Post a Comment